The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, straddling the border involving South Africa and Botswana, is a semi-desert of purple dunes and star-crammed skies where by African animals run wild and readers get a wilderness ‘fix’ which is Prozac for the soul.
Once Kalahari sand receives into your shoes, legend states, you are going to be drawn back once more and all over again.
I’ve visited the park 30 times and even prepared a reserve about it. But I dropped my coronary heart on my very to start with go to.
For those who have but to go there for the 1st time, here’s some helpful details to support with arranging a Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park safari.
Getting to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Get the R360 for 250km from Upington in the Northern Cape, South Africa, by means of Askham to Twee Rivieren on the South Africa/Botswana border (total length from Johannesburg 960km from Cape Town 1100km). If time is brief and your pockets deep, fly from Johannesburg or Cape Town to Upington and employ a car or truck there.
Getting all over the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
I recommend driving a auto with high clearance (at the very least 190mm) or 4×4, particularly when the streets are poorly corrugated, or muddy in the wet year (December/January to April). I have observed Sedans make it here in the dry time (May perhaps to November), but who is familiar with at what price to their suspension!
A 4×4 is critical for the guided and self-push 4×4 trails on the South African side, and just about everywhere on the Botswana/eastern facet of the park. Deflate your tyres for a softer ride (and see idea 8 under).
Greatest time to visit the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Any time is great, based on what you take pleasure in. September–November, the end of the dry year, brings animals to the waterholes and numerous migrant birds. January/February gives loads of motion, fantastic raptor sightings and some electric powered storms, if you don’t mind temperatures of 45–50ºC. If rains have been excellent, March may well present a greener side to the park and it’s fantastic for birding. Steer distinct of June/July, if you dislike staying chilly night-time temperatures can plummet to or -10ºC, whilst times are sunny.
What to seem for throughout a Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park safari
You will virtually definitely spot black-maned Kalahari lions and possibly even a leopard, but go away your ‘Big Five’ notions at dwelling as there are no elephant, rhino or buffalo listed here. Instead, take pleasure in birds of prey, cheetah, hyena, honey badger, bat-eared fox, meerkat and small creatures like whistling rats and barking geckos.
In which to remain the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
SAN Parks’ tourist camps (Twee Rivieren, Nossob, Mata Mata) present self-catering chalets and tenting, even though their 6 better-priced and more distinctive wilderness camps (Gharagab and Bitterpan for 4x4s only) are unfenced for a shut-to-nature come to feel.
The personal Xaus Lodge on land returned to the Mier and Khomani San is a entirely-catered luxurious choice.
Kgalagadi Lodge outside the park, 5km south of Twee Rivieren, has self-catering chalets, tenting with personal amenities,, and a fantastic very little cafe.
Botswana Office of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP) gives unfenced bush camping with prolonged-fall loos at Rooiputs and Polentswa, and on a range of multi-night trails throughout the dunes. You should have a 4×4, bring all your have drinking water and be totally self-ample.
At the other conclusion of the scale are the new full-board private lodges at Rooiputs and Polentswa.
Insider guidelines for browsing the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
1. Obtain the official info guidebook to the park at Twee Rivieren for background on the park’s animals, crops and neighbouring San communities.
2. Take warm gear if you stop by in winter season use sunscreen and retain hydrated in summer months.
3. Rain falls primarily in between January and April, while we ended up as soon as caught in a hail storm in September. The dry season is Could to November/December.
4. The safety of the water is suspect. Carry drinking drinking water from house or purchase 5-litre jugs of mineral water outdoors the park where by it is more affordable.
5. You can obtain gas only at Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata.
6. Only Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata have stores marketing bottled h2o, fundamental food items/toiletries and firewood.
7. Budget for at least a single guided early early morning wander (R313 a person, no kids underneath 16) or sunset/night time drive (R181 a man or woman, little ones half price tag) in the course of your pay a visit to.
8. If you undertaking out on a 4×4 trail, get a grass net to guard your radiator and deflate your tyres to 1.6 bars or considerably less so you don’t get caught in thick sand. For safety, travel with at least two automobiles.
9. This is a transfrontier park, but if you want to leave the park someplace other than wherever you enter, you have tofinish immigration formalities at Twee Rivieren/Two Rivers, and keep a least of two nights in the park.
10. Kgalagadi isn’t a large-possibility malaria region, but use repellents and include up at dawn/dusk in summer months.